Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dia de los Muertos

The Day of the Dead is not just one day it is 3 days.
It is a time to remember our loved ones who have passed on.
Honor their memory leave them a little something special maybe even build a little alter.
I think about the things I would put on my loved ones alters.
For my Mom a glass of white wine in a crystal  glass, some chocolate, lipstick and a warm wool blanket from Scotland. I know she would enjoy these things. For my friend Diane piles of chocolate,cookie cutters, a fiesta hat and Christmas decorations these are a few of the things she loved..I'll stop there because I don't want to bring you down.
I never get around to building those alters where you can see them but every year I build them in my heart.

I did spend one of those 3 days making glass sugar skulls. I call these Happy Skulls
I mean look at them they are happy! I took the pictures below while they were still on the mandrels.
There are the ones I call poke eye girl/boy. These are truly inspired by the phrase I'd rather poke a stick in my eye. You know we have all had those days.


Then there are the eyelash girls some with the traditional flowers others with bows and the boys well they wouldn't be mine if there wasn't a spider somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment