Monday, May 26, 2014

Flameworking Bulleye Glass the 00's

Here it is finally as promised more on flameworking Bullseye COE 90 glass.
This edition is the double zero's as I call them.
They are dense in color and not as translucent as the single zero colors.

0013 Opaque White
 A very dense bright true white.
Great when you need a true white I love it for flowers but this glass has issues!
1st - you will have real problems if you can't give it plenty of oxygen. It will turn brown or   liver  if you have to much fuel in you flame. That pretty much means it will not stay white when melted with a Hot Head torch. Problem # 2 (at least with the last batch that I got) SHOCKY!!!! I thought I was working with anise white. It was popping like a machine gun! It is worth it to keep working with it because it is the only true beautiful white you can get in Bullseye rod. I mean look at these Dogwood & lilac beads.
White lilac's and a dogwood flower made with 0013
0014 Cobalt Blue
Nice because it is very dense in color. It is a bit pale for cobalt it is almost a dark periwinkle when worked.

0016 Turquoise
Now this is a color I am VERY fond of yep I love it. I would compare it in color and reactive qualities to 104 turquoise. My complaint with early Bullseye rod colors were to opalescent they just didn't give you the dense color you found in 104. 0016 Turquoise is the answer to my prayers!
Because I make a fiesta beads and need the bright dense colors this is the perfect turquoise.
It will give you the cool reactions you are looking for when used with any of the Bullseye colors that have sulfur like French Vanilla, Nougat and yellows.

The light turquoise is 0016 turquoise with steel blue & French Vanilla

This bead has 0016 Turquoise & 0017 mineral green


0017 Mineral Green
Another color I am in Love with! This is a very dense color somewhere between a sage or copper green. It lends dense color to any green cane or leaves. It is very light green unlike its 0117 twin which is opalescent/translucent  and darker in color

0018 Periwinkle Blue
A very light pastel periwinkle blue with dense color. I have not had any unpleasant reactions using this color. It has nice clean lines and does not bleed into other colors.

0024 Tomato Red
This on is another  "picky" color you will need plenty of O2 in you flame unless you like black or liver colored glass. I would not recommend using this red with a Hot Head torch.
Even though it need the O2 it is a beautiful red that stays dense and rich in color.
Left flower - 0024Tomato Red, next 0016 turquoise petals


0034 Light Peach Cream* opalescent
Unlike all the other "double zeros" this one is very translucent. It is a very pale color that you would probably pass over when picking glass because its is not that spectacular. Think again this is an awesome color because it is not reactive and can be used to make other colors really pop. It is perfect for flower petals because it is so translucent it gives them an ethereal look. I was searching for colors that I could use to make rhododendron flowers for the Gathering in Bellevue Washington. Light peach cream was perfect it did not have a unpleasant reaction with the mix of pink frits.
Base of this flower is 0034 light Peach Cream the pink is a frit blend I made just for these flowers.

0046 Bluestone Opaque
Beautiful dense blue somewhere between a denim blue and steel blue.
0064 Sterling Blue
Beautiful dense light blue more like faded denim.

Wish I could find the rest of my photos I'll post them in a later Blog.

This is just my experience with Bullseye COE90 Glass. I hope it is helpful for other Flameworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment